As the actors of Squid Game continues to make headlines day in and day out, another actor has started to see viral popularity, but his situation is a little unique.
Meet rookie actor Lee Jung Jun — one of the many actors who has started to gain overnight success for his appearance in the Netflix thriller series.
The 22-year-old is a rookie in the acting industry, having only made his debut back in 2019 with a small role in tvN‘s Class of Lies. The actor is slowly gaining traction in the acting world, as he previously acted in Kairos and in the worldwide mega-hit series, Squid Game.
As you look at his photos, you may be wondering why his face looks so familiar and unfamiliar all at the same time. And it’s because while the actor appeared in the widely popular Netflix series, his appearance was very short — and we mean very short.
The reason behind his brief appearance is because Lee Jung Jun appeared in the series as one of the square-masked guards. These guards — who had triangle, circle, and square masks — were in charge of walking around and keeping order in the game rooms.
And while the actor kept his mask on for a majority of his appearance in the K-Drama, Lee Jung Jun revealed his face for a brief 20 seconds in the third episode of Squid Game. During the The Man with the Umbrella episode, a game participant on the verge of being killed successfully stole one of the square-faced guards’ guns — and it was none other than Lee Jung Jun.
In an effort to buy some time, participant #119 points his gun at the square-faced guard and forces him to take off his mask. It was during this very scene that Lee Jung Jun’s face was revealed to Squid Game viewers for the first and last time during the show. Not even a full minute following his face reveal, Lee Jung Jun’s character was killed by the front man.
While the scene itself captivated viewers, as it shared the heartbreaking reality of the Squid Game storyline, Lee Jung Jun’s brief 20 second face reveal became a hot topic. Following his short appearance in the Netflix K-Drama, the rookie actor has started to experience viral popularity.
- “Whoa, I also went to his Instagram ㅋㅋㅋㅋ he attends Korea National University of Arts.”
- “I thought that he would have a bigger impact because a young and good looking face appeared…I didn’t think he’d die right awayㅜ.”
- “I was also so freaking surprised because he was so young…I thought, is he a soldier??? ㅋㅋㅋ.”
- “Everyone’s eyes are the same ㅋㅋㅋㅋ.”
- “I also thought he was handsome ㅋㅋㅋ.”
- “Because he was good looking, I expected him to be an important character but he died right away?? Hm.”
- “Not only was he so young, but I was surprised because he was so handsome ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ I also thought they were all soldiers.”
- “He’s good looking in a cute way.”
Sometimes, all you need in life is 20 seconds. Congratulations to Lee Jung Jun on his newfound popularity! We get a feeling we’ll be seeing more of him in the future.