BTS has truly become a world star with nearly 14 million Twitter followers and a spot on the Forbes’ 30 Under 30 Asia list. They are even leading in the TIME 100, which will be announced on April 19th.
However, there was a time when BTS was not as well known and received a lot of hate comments that doubted their potential.
Here are some of the hate comments that were rediscovered by fans. They were commented on an article titled “Debut, BTS’s role model is BIGBANG“.
- “Why don’t you name the members like bulletproof helmet or bulletproof vest as well”
- “Rap monster ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ”
- “Rap monster ㅋㅋㅋㅋ SugaㅋㅋㅋㅋBTSㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋIt’s so lame”
- “Their name sounds like a Japanese group from the 80’s”
- “Just because your role model is BIGBANG doesn’t mean you become like them”
- “They’ll probably try to be like BIGBANG and then disappear a year later, 2 years at most ㅋㅋㅋ”
Fans looked back at these comments and were proud to see how much BTS grew since their debut. They also admitted that they were also surprised at their random group name.
- “I’m a BTS fan and I feel really happy when I see stuff like this…like there was a time when they were like that”
- “It’s because they endured all the hate and hardship that they became the BTS they are today”
- “Thank you for enduring this…Now, no one can look down on them. BTS has their own style just like BIGBANG has their own style and I believe we’re going to continue to flourish”
- “I’m an ARMY but honestly I had a prejudice about the group because of their name. I think maybe if they’d come out with the name BTS (rather than the Korean 방탄소년단) earlier on, they may have become popular more quickly”
- “Yea but I was actually really shocked when I first heard their nameㅋㅋㅋI heard it on a music program but when they said BTS, I was wondering who gave them such a name”
- “It’s still weird lol let’s admit the facts”
Fans may have been more skeptical of BTS when they first debuted because back in the day, people were more skeptical about groups that were not from the BIG 3.
- “Everyone debuts trying to reach the level of TVXQ or BIGBANG but in reality, it’s super hard to even to reach the level of B1A4.”
- “People thought TVXQ and Girls’ Generation’s names were weird when they first debuted too. It becomes okay when they get popular. But I don’t think BTS will make it”
- “Honestly, that’s how most rookies are treated if they’re not from the BIG 3”
However, thanks to BTS and many other groups from smaller-sized agencies, this prejudice has been mitigated. Cheers to BTS’s immense growth!